WESPA's Scrabble Calendar is a truly global one - the tournament schedule is co-ordinated by the Tournament & Rating Committee and sets the rating criteria for tournaments on the World circuit.
Tournaments are Open to all players without discrimination (Invitational events will be screened by the committee on a case-by-case basis, provided that qualification and/or selection method is conducted in a transparent manner and based either on WESPA or domestic ratings, i.e. Masters event, etc)
Tournaments are to be played to the current version of WESPA tournament rules (WESPA Rules V3), except where variations have been permitted by prior arrangement with WESPA. Organisers must pay the WESPA ratings levy (currently US$1 per player for members and $2 otherwise, subject to a minimum of U$20). Organisers must make available to WESPA all relevant documentation and publicity material including but not limited to: application form, tournament flyers, etc.
Tournaments meeting the following criteria will be eligible for WESPA rating as International Tournaments:
- The World Championships,
- (a) Any International tournaments awarding a top prize of U$2500 or more;
(b) OR attracting significant level of international participation (no more than 60% of participants from any one country);
- Team tournaments between countries.
- Tournaments ancillary to, and organised in conjunction with, those eligible under points 1 to 3 above.
In addition, WESPA will offer to rate a certain number of local
tournaments that do not meet the criteria for International Tournaments, subject to the following criteria.
NOTE: Submissions for rating local events may be approved by the TRC on a case-by-case basis even if all criteria are not strictly met. Please contact your regional TRC representative or the TRC chair if you have any questions.
- The national association in whose jurisdiction the tournament will be played must have WESPA membership, and must support the application for the tournament to be WESPA rated;
- (a) Any number of NASPA CSW15 tournaments played in North America are eligible;
(b) outside North America:
i) Class 1 members of WESPA may hold a maximum of 8 such tournaments in a calendar year
ii) Class 2 members of WESPA may hold a maximum of 4 such tournaments in a calendar year
- Tournaments must be played under the current version of WESPA Rules (including the word source specified therein), or under national rules if this has been agreed in advance with WESPA;
- Payment of the applicable tournament levy (US$1 per participant, subject to a minimum of U$20);
- Tournaments where zero players have a WESPA rating are unable to be properly rated. Please liaise with the Tournament and Rating Committee (TRC) for any guidance.
- Organisers must make available to WESPA all relevant documentation and publicity material as mentioned above under International Tournaments